The ABLE Network program is designed to bring value to participants through:
- Building employment skills, knowledge, and confidence in the workplace
- Enhancing self-esteem, self-confidence, and self-advocacy skills
- Providing opportunities to be an active, contributing member of their community
- Promoting healthy living
- Providing each participant with their own unique program
The ABLE Network Participants:
- Indicate a desire to learn, grow, and take risks
- Have family members and caregivers who support their goals
- Have recently completed high school (on intake)
- Have an intellectual disability
- Have successful co-operative work experience at high school level
- Have basic pedestrian skills
- Have a goal of being able to travel independently on public transit through travel and safety training
Participants are supported in our five core programs: work, travel and safety training, recreation, continuing education, and community service activities. Each participant has an individualized program schedule.
Through job carving with our community partners, we support participants in paid work positions within the community.
“Work is my happy place! My bosses are awesome. I feel proud that I work independently and get a pay cheque.”
Travel & Safety Training
Participants receive training in transit and pedestrian safety skills with the goal of taking transit independently.
“I like taking the bus, because I am independent. I can go lots of places and it makes it easier for my dad.”
Participants are provided with a yearly membership to a local fitness center. Each participant is assessed by certified fitness trainers and given a customized fitness plan.
“I like working out at the gym. I like to challenge myself and feel better about myself.”
Participants have the opportunity to develop life skills and functional literacy skills, as well as participate in general interest activities like clay class, painting, gardening, music, yoga, etc.
“I love trying new things with my friends, especially learning to cook.”
Community Service Activities
Participants regularly engage in a variety of volunteer opportunities within the community.
“I love to do volunteer work. I like to serve the food at Welcome Table and I like getting to know the people who come each week.”